Question
Posted by: El | 2004/11/23

Can't start losing weight

Dear Doc
I just don’t seem to be able to start losing weight without totally shocking my body by not eating for 1 whole day. I know this is completely unhealthy but it seems to be the only thing that works. My grandma struggled with the same problem. After being diagnosed with a serious heart problem the doctors put her on a very strict diet under supervision for a total of two weeks and couldn’t get her to lose anything. After this one day of no food and only water I basically have to starve myself to keep on losing weight. The problem is, I suffer from low blood pressure and after 2 days I’m to week to even get out of bed. I did follow the Max Planck diet once and I did lose some weight but after a week I had to stop because I started fainting. Do you have any suggestions for me? Please help!

Dear El
I would suggest that you have a medical checkup to see if you are not perhaps suffering from insulin resistance. If this should be the case, then I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with a slimming diet that is based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Also read the articles on the glycaemic index (GI) and click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes' (which is similar to insulin resistance) to obtain more information.

2
Posted by: El | 2004/11/24

Hi Loser
Thanks a mil, I found their website. I'm definitely going to contact them.
E

Reply to El
Posted by: Loser | 2004/11/23

Hi El,
I had the same problem. Could never loose weight. Also have low blood pressure and struggled to stay with diets. I also used to starve myself to try and loose weight. Then someone told me about a diet called "die dieet waarvan almal praat". It has been 12 weeks and I have already lost 6 kg's. It costs a bit much to join and for all the correct food but once you are on it, you start to get used to buying the stuff you are supposed to eat. I also had a problem with my Thyroid. The clinic takes your bloodpressure every week to monitor you and also gives you advice on what to eat if your bloodsugar gets too low.
Although I have finished my 10 week course, I now know what to eat and still keep on losing weight. Slowly but surely. You might also think of doing some excercise.

Good luck...

Reply to Loser