Question
Posted by: Abby | 2006/04/18

Can't get over fear

Hi, I don't know what to do about my problem anymore. You might think this is pathetic, but I have a fear for driving. I'm 26 years old and without a drivers license. The older I get the more people pressurise me into getting my license. I cannot drive. I've been for about 5 lessons in February and it was going ok, but then I became really nervous and just stopped going for lessons. It's the biggest issue in my life and it seems to be all that I think about day in and day out. It's driving me insane. I'm a really nervous driver and I can't seem to get over this fear. It's like a huge mountain in front of me! I get to the point of writing it down in my book of things to do, but just can't get myself to phone the driving instructor. I can afford to buy myself a car and I know how important it is to get my license as it will open up many doors for me, but I don't know what is holding me back. My boyfriend has even said he'd buy me a car, you'd think that this is big enough motivation for me, but it's not. I think I'm afraid of failing. Please tell me how to get over this.

Actually, Abby, if you'll check our forum archives, you'll find that this problem is more common than you may think. As tc shows in her own story, persistence usually wins through. But it can be more comfortable and agreeable to see a good local counsellor / psychologist for assessment and simple CBT counselling to gain control over the anxiety, and this needn't take long

2
Posted by: Abby | 2006/04/19

Thank you both. It feels better to know I'm not alone out there. I will keep on trying though, thanks for the advise!

Reply to Abby
Posted by: tc | 2006/04/19

I'm 36yrs and only got my license a few months ago. I know how you feel, I felt the same...went for driving lessons etc. I hated each lesson. One day my husband and I had a huge fight before work.....regarding driving/license and my fears!
Same afternoon I returned home and there it was....My own car! He bought me the car after our fight and I must admit if it was not for the car that was standing in the garage waiting for me to drive it I would still not have my license today!!!!
Hang in there go for you lessons. PS: Also I must say that I only got my license after the 3rd try.. I'm over my fears and I am not nervous anymore! Sterkte!

Reply to tc