Question
Posted by: obsessive | 2007/06/15

can't do public, can't control thoughts

i can't pee or eat in public. i have obsessive thoughts that won't go away, that i can't control, for instance thinking the whole day about something that might happen, like a plane will crash. i can't face public situations, i blush and can't say a word, even if i'm alone with one person i don't know. i also do things sometimes over and over, like blink or twitch. i'm driving myself crazy

Having difficulty in peeing in public is more common than you might think. but being reluctant to eat in public is less common, though still someothing I recognize well. But the rest of youyr description suggests more obsessive aspcts to the problem, and some social anxiety. The good news is that this is entirely curable. You'd need to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment and specific advice, but probably a combination of CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) abd perhaps some Antidepressant medications ( which have a number of useful properties ) would be recommended and can help you to transform this situation, and gain in confidence and comfort

1
Posted by: Ashley | 2007/06/17

Like stage fright? only it happens almost all the time? Sweetie, tell your gp about it and if he cant find anything physically wrong then he will recommend the best professional who can.

My husband suffered from the most extreme panic disorder for 25yrs and he was 35 when he told me, his wife of thirteen years.
We sought one cardiologist after another, it mimicks a heart attack, it controlled his life where he would never be alone, 'just in case' and would plan his life around the attacks, ie always go to familiar places, near to hospitals etc and eventually our gp recommended cognitive behavioural therapy...
My point? you CAN live a life like everyone else, dont think that this is how you are, you can get the treatment and pleasant life you deserve. All the best

Reply to Ashley