Posted by: No Appetite Control | 2008/06/13

can't control my appetite!

Please help, I have been on every diet possible, and just can't control my appetite - whats wrong with me? I desperately want to loose 15 kg to be at the top of my range according to weight watchers. Why am I always so hungry? I am on eltroxin with my thyriod under control. I exercise regularly, but just can't stop eating! By the way I don't have worms, cause I have already been down that route!

Dear No Appetite Control
It is difficult to say why you are not able to control your appetite. In some cases this could be due to insulin resistance or pre-diabetes and in others that eating has become a learned response. If you suspect that your eating may have a psychological component then it may be good to consult a clinical psychologist to assess your situation and reactions to food and to teach you how to cope without always eating. If you suspect that your appetite is due to a reaction of your body then I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (a dr who specialises in hormone systems) to see if you have problems with one of your hormones that relate to appetite control. It is also important to note that if you have been using 'starvation diets' to lose weight, these are usually counterproductive. You should rather use a well balanced, low glycaemic index (GI) diet that does not cause you to feel starved and thus to overeat. Consult a clinical dietitian for a low-GI diet (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). In the meanwhile Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
Keep up the good work with the exercise as this helps with weight loss.