Question
Posted by: Sam | 2007/08/20

Can you prevent arthritis

I get 'cold' pains in my joints from time to time and I usually treat it with a voltaren gel and tablet. Does this mean that I will eventually get arthritis and if so can I take any precautions against it?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sam
Most of us experience a form of arthritis called osteo-arthritis as we age- this just reflects the normal wear and tear changes in the joints. Sportsmen and women who have really been involved in high impact or contact sport, can even suffer more of the wera and tear changes.
There are supplements containing chondroitin and glucosamine sulphate available from pharmacies that is purported to be beneficial to the joints and many patients have given positive feedback.
Also, keep on moving- walk at least 3 times per week to keep the joints mobile and flexible and follow a healthy diet.