Question
Posted by: Eleonor | 2004/11/22

can you manipulate the sex of a baby before conceiving?

I know this might sound like a strange question, but I want to know if it is at all possible to "manipulate" your body in such a way to make the conceiving of a girl/boy easier. I once heard somewhere that if you eat the right types of food (can't remember what though) you can actually enhance the chance of getting what you want. Is this true? And are there any other ways to help choose the sex of the baby before or during pregnancy? For the woman or/and her partner?

My husband and I desperately want a girl and although we are just in the planning phase of getting pregnant, I would like to know what we can do to enhance our chance of getting a girl. We will also be thankful if we get a boy, but it would be interesting to know if there is any methods to ensure any one sex.

I agree with Renira.

2
Posted by: Renira | 2004/11/23

I heard that male sperm swim faster than female sperm but they die quicker.

So if you want a boy, having sex on the day of ovulation will increase the chances of a boy. If you want a girl, having sex a day or two before ovulation will increase the chances of you having a girl.

In most cases, you won't even know exactly when you are ovulating and so won't know how to plan it properly.

Most couples TTC, have sex every night or every second night in the ovulation period. How will you know which sperm makes it to the egg, and which doesn't.

I think that if you want a baby badly enough, the sex should not really matter.

Renira

Reply to Renira
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/11/23

I know there are ways by having intercourse at certain times of the month before or on the day having your periods - I am sure the ladies would be able to help out on that one.
The other option we had investigated was the route were they separate the boy and girl sperm and place the desired sex back. This is also not completely fool proof though and some doctors are reluctant to do so as they say it interferes with nature, however our gynae in Pta was willing to do this procedure. At the end we decided against it and God still gave us the beautiful baby boy we desperately wanted.

Good luck!

Reply to Kippie