Question
Posted by: Sue | 2003/02/13

Can you get "ankle splints"? What can you do to stop the pain?

I've been using the Shape up for Summer 10km running programme & got to week 8. Now my ankles are sore all the time. They have the same type of pain you get with shin splints. I have tried "rolling" them, but they are sore all the time. I can run, but I think maybe I should rest them. How long, though, until they feel better & is there anything I can to to stop this?

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear this. Yes, I would suggest you revert to walking until such time as the pain subsides. Bone tissue takes longer to adapt to impact than does for example your heart to exercise, so it's best to just take it a bit easy for at least 2 weeks. Try again then. If the pain persists, walk for 2 more weeks - then you should be fine. If not, you'd need to get the problem investigated by a doctor.

Also make sure that you have got adequate shock-absorption in your running shoes, since this could aggravate the situation.

Good luck.