Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2007/12/13

Can vaccine damage the Heart

I have a Bull Terrier female which is 4 1/2 yrs. Last year she was given her annual vaccine and within a short period she started getting ill - bloated tummy and nausea. I took her to our vet and she was diagnosed with a tummy bug and was treated with antibiotics. Shortly after that I took her back as she started coughing if she ran around to much etc. and was diagnosed with a heart murmer - enlarged heart on the left hand side and has been on 1/2 a Fortekor 20 a day and has been fine. The vet checks her every time we go there for something and it's alway the same .
Two weeks ago I took her in again for her annual vaccine and asked the doc to check her heart as well and his answer was she is very stable and the heart has remained the same - I must not worry. She is not overweight - 20KG and very enegetic. Well I had to take her in today as I could feel the vibration of her heart and her breathing was laboured. I was told that she has now advanced into Stage 3 of congenital heart disease.
Well I just can't believe this 2 weeks ago she was fine - it's impossible!!!
I need advise on what we can give her to stop any further damage to her heart.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Debbie

This is unusual for progression to be so sudden. Did they say it was congestive heart failure? Are you near a specialist centre that can scan her heart and do an ECG to determine the cause of her heart disease? These examinations will give an indication of the cause and whether or not additional medication can be incorporated in the treatment. What area do you live in so I can suggest someone to see.

3
Posted by: Gonum | 2009/03/20

Kindly give me some info for the above.

Kind Regards
Gonum

Reply to Gonum
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/14

He probably said congestive, not congenital - congestive is when the heart can't cope and the tissues fill with fluid.

This certainly sounds like a very sad story and I really hope something can be done. Maybe the cybervet can refer you to a specialist - alternatively, phone Onderstepoort (or ask your vet, of course) if they can refer you to someone. Medication should certainly make a difference and will help the dog, so don't give up hope. I'd be extremely interested to hear if the professionals do attribute this condition to the vaccines - but I think perhaps I should mention, for the sake of others reading this, that this certainly would not be a reason to fear vaccinating dogs - the consequences of not providing immunity are infinitely more common, and potentially just as serious, as any rare sensitivity or intolerance to vaccines.

Please let us know what happens, and best of luck.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Debbie | 2007/12/14

I live in Port Elizabeth and yes they did a xray of her heart last year which showed the enlargement on th eleft hand side. And yesterday I sure he said it wsa congenital heart failure...which I understand is a birth defect. What is congestive? KC never had heart problem till she had her 3rd vaccine at the age of 3 1/2 years.

Debbie

Reply to Debbie