Question
Posted by: cat | 2004/01/04

can u plz explain how 7pill free day works?

ive been on the pill for a month now, ive finished the 21 pill pack and have just started my 7 pill free days now. i read that i am still protected against pregnancy in the booklet durring these 7 days but can u explain how?. if one were to miss a pill at eny other time she would run the risk of pregnancy moreso, how is this not the case then durring the 7 pill free days?.

the other question is, before i started on the pill, a week before that i took the morning after pill(for there was an accident with the condom. this brought my period forward, (it was very light and lasted all of 2 days)- it was then i started on the pill. taking the morning after pill that month ago and having a very light early period,-will this effect whether i get a period in these next pill free 7 days?(being as obviously my cycle changed slightly&affected).

sorry its a long one, my nurse wasnt very helpful and didnt have much time for questions. hope you can answer my queeries tho

thx

Most people will not have a breakthrough ovulation within 7 days of stopping the Pill. If you miss a pill in the active phase, the hormone levels will drop and they will then drop again when you get to the placebo pills which may cause them to be low enough to result in ovulation.
You should have a period when you get to the placebo section of the packet, irrespective of your taking the morning after pill or not.