Question
Posted by: SN | 2005/01/11

Can throat infection lead to pelvic bacterial infections

I have a bacterial infection in within my pelvic area, being treated with antibiotics. My gynae has done a full blood count, urine test and cervical swab - all show no clear indication of this area being the root of the problem. However, I have had a sore throat with swollen glands for the same time as my infection and he says that this could be the problem. Please advise if this is a viral infection or other.

SN, it isn’t common for throat infections to cause pelvic infection (or vice versa), but I suppose it is possible. It might also be that the pelvic infection taxed your immune system up to the point where a throat infection was able to develop. I can’t tell you whether it is a viral infection from this side of the screen, but it is another possibility. If it doesn’t clear up within the next couple of days the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.