Question
Posted by: kal | 2007/07/12

can this cause harm to my puppy?

my puppy is eating my cats poo - can this be harmful?

Not harmful but unpleasant especially when it comes to lick your face soon afterwards. You need to train it out of the habit.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2007/07/12

Toxoplasmosis is only really dangerous to pregnant women who aren't already immune - the good news, if you can call it that, is that most of us are immune from sources other than cat poo. However: if you're pregnant, or hoping to get that way, then be sure to have a blood test to check if you already have the antibodies. If you don't, then the effects on an unborn child can be devastating.

Ringworm isn't a worm - it's a fungus. It's not transmitted via faeces.

I don't believe that the puppy is likely to suffer ill effect - but nevertheless, I think if it was my puppy, I'd be doing whatever I can to prevent it eating the stuff!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Joni | 2007/07/12

Cats can carry some pretty scary diseases (toxicplasmosis), worms (think ringworm etc.) which can be passed on to humans!

Mmm, then you give him little kisses, he licks your children's faces, hands, you! I agree WR not hygenic at all!! Our litter trays are kept high up and out of reach (Very difficult with a Great Dane).

Not just that what happens if your cat is on medication which are eliminated through the bowel this means your dog will ingest what might be left. TOO RISKY

Constant reminders and putting it high up will help!

Reply to Joni
Posted by: WR | 2007/07/12

Hi there,

Does it matter? It is unhygenic - he probably licks you too? Rather put the cat's litter tray on a higer place so the puppy can't reach it.

A good telling-off when caught in the act (consistantly) COULD also work - but not necessarily.

Reply to WR