Question
Posted by: JELLYTOT | 2006/07/18

Can stress cause my spastic colon

Dear Doc,

I've been experiencing extreme stomac pain, even being woken up at night because of the pain. After hours and hours of pain my stomac seems to relax and then I usually pass very loose stools.
I only experience this when I am stressed out. This also only occur (90%) of the time while I am sleeping, thus in my subcontious mind. I've seen a Shrink last year and he put me on Zoloft. I am still on zoloft (1 x per day) but it doesn't seem to help the prevention of this stomac pain. Any sugestions?

Stress unquestionably plays a very significant role in Spastic Colon and similar conditions. Whether you still need to be takign Zoloft depends on WHY he put you on it, and what his diagnopsis was. Maybe he should be asked to review the situation and the treatment plan. CBT style counselling to let you handle streses better may be more useful

2
Posted by: WHy | 2006/07/18

Check it out. It could also be something like crohn's or colitis. And yes spastic colon usually does get worse around times of stress. But no good doing a self analysis, go ot the professionals.

Reply to WHy
Posted by: Tango | 2006/07/18

Yes, stress will cause it. I have heard there is an excellent drug for spastic colon made by a company called Novartis. I can not remember its name. Go to the web site tummytalk dot co dot za and you will get loads of info there.

Reply to Tango