Question
Posted by: Rudy | 2004/10/04

CAN SCHIZO'S CRY

Hi there Cybershrink, can szhizo's cry? My mother was lead to believe that schizo's are emotianally flat and would never cry.
I am labeld schizo but find I can cry easily. I am a 32 year male

Dear Rudy,
Actually, there are different varieties of schizophrenia. In some a person may be more emotionally flat than most of us ( like Samantha, perhaps ) ; in most forms of it, people can be as emotional and as upset as anyone.
Remember, Shaun, the popular idea of Schizophrenia as a "split personality" is totally false in the sene of having more than one personality --- there may be some splits within the single personality we all have, in someone with Schizophrenia.
But what you say makes a lot of sense. It sounds as if you've been stable over 8 years or so, without getting worse or relapsing, which is a lot better than most people with schizophrenia. Maybe the diagnosis is worth revisitng ; other conditions, like hypomania, or even severe depression, may also lead to a period of strange behaviour ; as can some temporary infections, and fevers, for instance. Maybe it's be a wise investment to see a good local psychiatrist, either privately, or maybe an academic at your nearest Medical School, for a re-assessment. it's possible you either don't need this medication ( but we of course need to be very sure of that before stopping it ) or may do much better on different medication. Worth checking out.

10
Posted by: Rudy | 2004/10/04

Anja, where do you live. Pse do yourself a great favour and phone Winnie Botha at (011) 391 3728- A marverlous person and heads the Schizofrenia support group I go to. We're all great friends with different problems and have speakers ever so often to enlighten us and for us to ask questions. NO COST.
We in fact have a meeting at Edenvale Community Hall at 6.30 this wednesday 6th Oct and sound very interesting programme. Its just until 20h30 or so.. we get coffee and sandwiches or cake etc. very relaxing - absolutely informal meeting. But that's the one in our region. Winnie will tell you more...such a nice person. also has daughter with schizo and all our friends of the support group. (Even fabulous get together for depression sufferers)

Reply to Rudy
Posted by: Rudy | 2004/10/04

Hi Paul, I'm not sure what I am...no tests available to prove but did have bizarre moments 6 yrs ago, e.g. reversing sentences, reverse walking to do something etc. Nevertheless, i'm trying to stay by the rules and drink meds everyday. Makes me feel extremely unenergetic , losts of side effects. so who knows, but can do nothing about it. Also sing at Karaoke...paranoid schizo is not supposed to be able to do that either.. very confusing. Cannot find anyone to trust me enough to give employment - see my other article re disability but in love in this forum. (I'm told this is unusual too for a schizo).

Reply to Rudy
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/04

Rudi,

I have been following your posts, are you certain that you are schizo - because you mentioned diffirent personalities, which as far as I know is a disasociative disorder of diffirent flavour all together. Interesting read none the less, I didn't know that yous can cry.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Samantha | 2004/10/04

Dear Anja
I am not sure how you feel at the moment but do know that will always be there if you want to chat. remember that even though your friend "cannot" cry, he still has feeling. The only thing is that he doesn't/cannot respond to it.

If you need more advise feel free to contact Denmar Psychiatric Hospital.

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: anja | 2004/10/04

I'm in a relationship with a schizo who's also 32 and i've never seen him cry. he gets confused about his emotions and then hurts himself. i wish i could help him, i think if he could cry he would feel better. where we live there's no support group for schizophrenics. i would appreciate a reply.

Reply to anja
Posted by: Rudy | 2004/10/04

thanks Samantha. I needed to know that someone out there hears me. Hope I can be there for you too sometimes.

Reply to Rudy
Posted by: Samantha | 2004/10/04

Rudy, it is okay if you cry sometimes.
I just wish I could. And please don't be so hard on yourself. You are only 32 what about me who is 22.

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: Rudy | 2004/10/04

thanks Samantha and Shaun, especially sam who is honest. Well I'm supposed to be Schizo but feel very broken at times and even cry tears when my girlfriend who may only spend weekends with me at my parents, needs to go home. I want her with me all the time and I cannot help it...I cry.
According to articles I read, yes you are flat all the time without emotions...maybe I have a different problem and am not schizo but I have learned all mental illnesses incl depression are linked. Yet I have to keep taking these horrible meds with all the side effects, in case I have a relapse of schizophrenia or in case I really am schizo as they say. That thought also makes me want to cry when I'm in a crying mood. I wonder if Cybershrink could give me his comments about all this quick crying. I'm a 32 male for heavens sake.

Reply to Rudy
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/04

Hi Rudy,

I don't know much about being a schizo. I can understand though, that with alternating personalities, one may have the urge to cry every now-and-then.
Anyway, even though we have the strong attitude of believing our mothers, I would rather wait for a professional perspective on this issue.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Samantha | 2004/10/04

Dear Rudy
I am also schizo and can't remember when last did I cry.
No matter how sad, hurtful the situation is, I always have that "flat" mood.

Reply to Samantha