Question
Posted by: Gog | 2009/11/04

can one live without kneecaps?

Can one have your kneecaps removed, or have a knee replacement op where just the kneecap is replaced?

I' m so moedeloos - tired of pain and swelling and limping and having kneecaps that " get stuck"  and have to be repositioned by hand, etc. The rest of the joint is fine and I' m apparently too young for replacement anyway (47).

Hallo Gog
You don't have to remove the knee cap - you can operate on the ligaments that determine the position of the kneecap to correct the movement of the kneecap - have you seen an orthopedic surgeon yet?

5
Posted by: Andrew | 2014/02/19

I don't have a knee cap I had a bad car accident when i was 17 and there isn't any way for a replacement lost my acl and pcl and now suffering from arthritis and I'm now 25 Doctors told me I have the top ten worst knee injuries in Canada. So yea you can live without a kneecap.

Reply to Andrew
Posted by: Gog | 2009/11/05

Wow Dave, I' m amazed by your stair climbing! I basically have to pull myself up with my arms when I climb stairs and avoid doing it whenever possible.

The under side of my patellas are so worn out because of the mis-tracking that every time I bend my knees it' s a painful and noisy experience. When I do floor exercises I have to get up like a giraffe, to the entertainment of my " gym buddies"  at the biokinetics place. I have well-trained triceps to get me in and out of the bath.

Reply to Gog
Posted by: Dave | 2009/11/04

Hallo Gog

I had a knee cap removed (patella - not replaced but simply removed) when I was 29 years of age, after it was shattered in a motor accident. My body adjusted to it, and now, at age of 62, I quite often climb the stairs for the sake of the exercise, *a few times a day*, up to the 11th floor where I live and when I am in the mood, passing my floor up to the 16th floor and back to where I live. The muscle below the knee cap became as hard as rock and took over the knee caps work.

Reply to Dave
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/04

Hallo Gog

Reply to cyberdoc
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/04

Hallo Gog

Reply to cyberdoc