Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2004/10/19

Can it be light autism or Aspergers?

I'm a 24 yo guy. Over the last few motnths I have been trying to find the reason behind, to put it in a cliche form, why I am the way I am.
I have exceptional difficulty concentrating. There are exceptions however. When I'm reading the world around me dissapears, it's difficult to describe. Also when I'm faced with a challenging mathematical or 3 dimensional problems my brain starts working on that problem and can't leave it alone. Sometimes after completing it, while having a conversation with someone, I'll start talking about it in answer to someones question, completely off the topic.
My Social skills, although I have worked hard at improving them, lags far behind my friends.
Crowds also completely freak me out. Not in a clausterphobic way. Fact that it is impossible to notice everybody and what they are doing puts me on edge and makes me feel vulnerable, although this could be a OCD.

These are few of my "symptoms" although there are others. What are the symptoms of light autism and/or aspergers syndrome... or am I completely off the beaten track?

Dear W,
There are so many possible reasons why you might be experiencing difficulty in concentrating. Common conditions are commonly the reason, and depression and anxiety states are very common, and commonly cause lack of concentration. Also sounds a touch obsessive, perhaps, with a slightly over-controlling and paranoid flavour. This does not sound like Autism or Aspergers, as they're too serious in their effects for you to have been likely to get as far as you have without the problem being noticed and diagnosed before now. And they're so disabling, that people with those conditions rarely ask about whether they have such diagnoses.
The only way to clarify this issue, though, is for you to see a good local shrink for a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis, and then treatment advice based on that assessment and diagnosis.