Question
Posted by: Unfit | 2008/06/06

Can I really be that unfit?

Hi Fitness Doc,

Wonder if you cna help me.
A friend and I started playing Squash last night. as we all know squash is a cardio sport and can take a lot out of you.

I ate last night, probably an hour and a half before playing squash. As soon as we started to play, I got a strange feeling. Almost like I was going to pass out - my head kind of dizzy, my ears singing, almost as if my hearing was impaired. Just a really strange feeling.
I also noticed the lighting on the squash court flickers really fast, but in a way that you can rarely notice.
Could it be the lights that affected me? Or can I really be that unfit?
Before playing squash I used to jog 20 min & Cycle 30 min in the cardio section...So I believe I couldn't be that unfit.

Your help would be appreciated.

I suspect there's more to this than just being unfit, mainly because of the timing of the problem - even in a very unfit state, it's unlikely that you'd feel like this so soon after starting out. So I would guess that it had some other cause. I'd be curious to know if it happens again if you play now. Often, we just have days like this - maybe it was something you ate, or the timing of the meal, or the lights, and it'll never ever happen again, who knows? But it's certainly worth playing again and seeing, I suspect you'll find that it's no problem.