Posted by: Maria | 2008/09/18

Can I induce labor naturally safely?

When I initially found out I was pregnant, my estimated due date was 12 Oct, I went for a scan this week and it shows that baby is now 3.5kg. Either a large baby of my due dates were incorrect. I am SO uncomfortable and sore already. Would it be unsafe to naturally try and induce labor? The scan estimated my new due date as 24 September. The doc said everything else shows as a full term baby. We havent had an amnio done to check the lungs yet.

Hallo Maria
One can only safely induce labor after 38 weeks, so doing an amniontic fluid test (L/S test) would be the critical factor - your baby's lungs must be well developed for him/her to be able to breathe on his/her own.