Question
Posted by: Vee | 2004/11/19

Can I help friend

Hi Cyber - A good friend of mine is having problems with 17 yr old daughter / drugs/ cutting. She spent a fortune to send the daughter to Kenilworth for a few weeks and counselling. Daughter has opted out of school as she would have to repeat year meaning she would be much younger than other youth. Daughter now seriously restricted. My friend keeps looking into her eyes to see if she is on drugs. I gave her name of parent support group. I never had this sort of problems with my children so not sure if I understand but can listen and suggest where to go for help (I'm quite resourceful) - In life I have my LBE (Learnt by experience) in most things but not this. Also don't understand about cutting - why do people do that....is it because she no longer takes drugs????? What can I do to help besides just support.

Vee, sounds like you are being a valuable and resourceful friend. I'm not going into yet another discussion of the dynamics of cutting --- check out the Archive of this forum as we've discussed it many times, even in recent months. Problems of this scale are too complex for a friend to help in the sense of providing a major intervention --- understandign and emotional support is excellent. beyond that she DOES need to help and advice of a skilled and experienced shrink, as nothing less will help.

3
Posted by: Kay | 2004/11/19

Doc will answer all questions - just not immediatley - he's a busy man too - with a whole other life.

Reply to Kay
Posted by: Vee | 2004/11/19

MY PLAN DIDN'T WORK. :P

Reply to Vee
Posted by: Vee | 2004/11/19

Hi Cyber - Changed subject....dramatic words get better response.
A good friend of mine is having problems with 17 yr old daughter / drugs/ cutting. She spent a fortune to send the daughter to Kenilworth for a few weeks and counselling. Daughter has opted out of school as she would have to repeat year meaning she would be much younger than other youth. Daughter now seriously restricted. My friend keeps looking into her eyes to see if she is on drugs. I gave her name of parent support group. I never had this sort of problems with my children so not sure if I understand but can listen and suggest where to go for help (I'm quite resourceful) - In life I have my LBE (Learnt by experience) in most things but not this. Also don't understand about cutting - why do people do that....is it because she no longer takes drugs????? What can I do to help besides just support.

Reply to Vee