Question
Posted by: MoMo | 2008/01/24

Can i have a baby later

Hi Fertility expert.
I'm 21 and had cysts on my right ovary, but they were removed. I was told that this will lessen my chances of having a baby the older I get, so it was suggested that I should try for one when i'm around 23. But I only want babies when I'm 30. Should I ignore what they said, and do what I want? Or should I start planning a family so early in life :-(

Dear MoMo

I do not believe that your fertility would be seriously compromised by the age of thirty. However, there are certain blood test that you could do on a regular basis annually which may give you better indication of ovarian reserves and fertility potential. These tests should be done under the auspices of a fertility specialist familiar with ovarian reserve testing in particular I would recommend the currently new anti Mularian hormone test (AMH) in conjunction with the other routine ovarian hormones. These blood test, together with careful ultra sound scanning may give you an indication in advance of the status of the ovarian function and fertility potential