Question
Posted by: Cherry | 2004/11/15

Can I be pregnant!!

If I had unprotected sex two days before getting my period what are the chances of me being pregnant???

Quite low, but possible.

6
Posted by: Cherry | 2004/11/15

when can I take the HPT????

Reply to Cherry
Posted by: mpumi | 2004/11/15

Yu could be pregnant... according to what i know it is not totally impossible to fall pregnant outside ovulation yu could be or maybe not.. take the plunge and take the HPT.

Reply to mpumi
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/11/15

You ovulate 14 days before your next period, your egg lives for 24 hours only, there are very rare cases in which woman ovulate this late before your period, but as I say very rare and unlikely,

Jessica

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/15

A women's cycle works like this - day one is the first day of your period. Soon after, your body is growing the next month's eggs and the right hormones are increasing to make conception possible. You usually release this egg 10-14 days before your next period (i.e. around day 14 of a 28 day cycle or day 16 of a 30 day cycle or day 10 of a 24 day cycle). The egg you released only lives for about 24 hours. However, sperm lives for up to 3 days. So if you had unprotected intercourse on day 10 of a 28 day cycle, you can get pregnant.

The follicle which released the egg (known as the corpus luteum), continues to excrete hormones to support the egg which may have been fertilised until it implants in the uterus. A fertilised egg also excretes hormones which prevents the period from starting. If fertilisation did not occur, these hormone levels drop after 10 to 14 days and your period starts.

Since none of us know exactly when we ovulate (stress or illness can extend the time before ovulation) it is unreliable to use the natural cycles as contraception. If you want to fall pregnant, your most fertile period is from day 10 to 16 before your next period (plot this on a calendar and count backward). These are the dates to have intercourse if you want to get pregnant.

So the short answer to your question would be that 2 days before your period start, the egg has died (if fertilisation did not take place) and the hormone levels are dropping due to this. There is nothing for the sperm to fertilise and your cervix have made the environment inhospitable for sperm to even penetrate to the uterus.

I hope this helps. There are many websites with simple explanations about the female cycles and how it works. So do a quick search on the internet. Alternatively, there are many books on the subject and your library would be able to help. You could also discuss it with your docter or gynae when you have a check-up (as you are sexually active).

All the best!

Reply to Golly
Posted by: Cherry | 2004/11/15

Thanx Golly but why can't I fall pregnant??I know this sounds stupid but I need to know

Reply to Cherry
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/15

You can not fall pregnant at that time.

Be safe in future!

Reply to Golly