Question
Posted by: rochelle | 2007/05/23

can i be honest?

Hi there, i've been finding myself betwen a rock and a hard place recently.When i was younger i was raped repeatedly by my mothers best friends son, when i was 18 i fell pregnant and between hating myself and this...man? i mutilated myself beyond repair and miscarried.I dont talk about it and dont want to i dont cry, i get flashbacks and nightmares that haunt me.My doctor saw my marks and sent me to a Psychiatrist, i'm extremely nervous as i feel i cant carry on but i dont want to deal with it right now.Can i tell him i'm feeling bad and cant stop thinking about harmfull thoughts even though i dont want to die hurting myself always sounds and feels appealing to me, and in some way helps.Can i tell him this and trust him? what if he wants to admit me? can he do so without my consent? Your advise will be appreciated greatly

CAN you be honest --- I don't know, I hope so. MAY you be honest ? By all means, do so. DO see the psychiatrist, from the sound of it, you have deserved such help for a long time, and you shouldn't have to face this sort of issue alone. If he is a good and skilled shrink, and he probably will be, he will obviously need to know from you a broad background to the situation, and should understand that there are some aspects of the past which you don't want to talk about in great detail. Obviously, too, he will need to know broadly what these aspects are --- you know, I can't avoid putting my foot in it, unless I know where "it" is ! You do need to talk to him frankly and openly about the harmful thoughts you have been having. You should be able to trust him, and his only duty will be to do his best to help you get over these crises and to find a more comfortable and hopeful way of living. Although it is theoretically possible for a shrink to admit someone without their consent, they are extremely reluctant to do so, and would only even consider it if they believed you were an urgent danger to yourself or others --- the very great majority of people with suicidal and self-harm thoughts are not dealt with in that way. Now, admission might turn out to be a good idea, to keep you safe in the meantime, and to enable him to work better with you for a time --- but if needed, he would explain this to you, and you would always have the option to agree and enter hospital voluntarily, just like the rest of us do when we need more intensive care than is practical as an outpatient. Be honest to him, and he ought to be equally frank and honest to you. Good luck, and do keep in contact with us here on the forum as to your progress

1
Posted by: Maria | 2007/05/23

You have to be honest, otherwise the doc can't help you. I don't see why he would want to admit you as you are not suicidal. Therapy with a psychologist specialising in CBT will probably be helpful.

Reply to Maria