Posted by: k_m | 2008/08/29

Can food vs Chunks

I been giving my mini adult perkinese (x) canned food in the evenings and also leave the chunks out all day. I took him for a check up and the vet says that we must stop the canned food as the chunks are more healthier but I stopped the canned food about two weeks now however he refuses to eat the chunks and he waits for canned food. Everytime I come back from shopping he hopes that there is a can for him. I tell him I am sorry, please eat your chunks as they are good for your teeth and gums. N.B. he loves only the Husky brand chicken canned food. how can i make him to stay without the canned food.

Dear k_m

Dont give him a choice. He'll have to eat to stay alive.

Posted by: Aphrael | 2008/08/29

Any fussy dog will eat when he' s hungry enough. Given no other choices (like table scraps or tinned food), he will eat the pellets eventually.

Another idea, though, is to give him a small amount of pellets and make a little bit of gravy from the tinned food - a table spoon of tinned food with a good amount of warm water. Then it smells like the tinned food, but really isn' t.

Reply to Aphrael