Question

Can counseling still have a purpose?

My husband & I have had a hard marriage. physical & emotional abuse have been a big part of our relationship. When i finally had enough, he wants to go for counseling.....

I am not sure if I should turn around & consider it even. Can it still have good result after so much abuse?

Possibly. And counselling isn't onl intended to glue a couple back together again --- it could enable both of you to understand much better what has been going wrong, and at least, even if you part, to understand how to avoid such situations in future

2

I would give him the benfit of the doubt and go for counselling. But I would keep in the back of my mind that change doesn't happen easily and falling back into old habits and ways is far easier when you are in a bad mood or having an arguement than using new behaviours.

People can change but I don't think they ever change completely. The tendency to be abusive will always be there.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: Chelle | 2007/06/19

I think it depends on the person's willingness to listen and to change. I don't think you have anything to lose by making that first appointment with a counsellor and then seeing how your husband responds. Perhaps within a short space of time you'll be able to see his real intentions and whether he really is willing to work on things.

Reply to Chelle