Question
Posted by: Mon | 2007/04/16

Can baby get better without antibiotics?

My baby is 9 months old and has a very snotty nose. It has been 5 days now and I have been dosing him with an anti-congestant and Panado as I would prefer not to give him anti-biotics so that his immune system can build up. Should I just take him to the doctor or should I keep trying to play "nurse"?

Dear Mon
Most "snotty noses" are due to viral infections - you can also put some saline spray into his nose to rinse the passages. If he is feverish or does not want to eat or looks weak or have difficulty breathing, you should probably take him to the doctor for antibiotics. Echinacea drops ( Natura) is a homeopathic product that boosts immunity in children.

1
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2007/04/16

Adco-Suffedrin is really great in clearing up a runny nose. You can get it at your Pharmacy without prescription. If the "snot" is green in colour, then it can be an indication of infection and you might get better results by getting antibiotics.

Reply to Gesiggie