Posted by: Aqueous man | 2009/05/21

Can aqueous cream be used as lubrication?

Hello. Please help me out here. I have a couple of tubs of aqueous cream and don' t use them much on my skin. I was wondering it they can be used as an internal lubricant for vaginal and anal sex with my wife/life partner (both of us STI-free)? We don' t use condoms as we have been tested for STIs and are faithful to one another, but for those who do us condoms, do you think aqueous cream would be safe for use with condoms or could they break? I have " Nurse' s Own"  cream, some pharmacy specific/generic tubs and a nice Johnson' s one. If it will help to give a list of ingredients (they all seem to be similar), the Johnson' s cream has: Aqua, Petrolatum, Cetearyl Alcohol, Parraffinum Liquidum, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Parfum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Limonene, Geraniol, Lyral, Isoeugenol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageSexologist

Aqueous cream is a very bland plain emollient (soothing cream) that is usually used for treating dried cracked skin. It is perfume-free and is therefore less likely to irritate than the steroid creams. Many women gain benefit from the use of this cream as it soothes and rehydrates the skin. Some women keep the cream in the fridge and this can help even further with inflamed skin. It can be used indefinitely and as frequently as you like. It is available without prescription and can be used as a soap substitute and even a sexual lubricant.

When using condoms and lubrications the following should be useful suggestions:

Lubrication DO’s:
• KY jelly
• Aqueous cream
• Spit
Lubrication DON’T’s
• Butter
• Cooking oil
• Vaseline

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Scara | 2009/05/21

Definately NO - try to use KY on most occasions as some people have sensitive skins ans the irritation only shows after a few weeks. Get the small sachet (normally about R5,00 a piece at AW shops) and try it.

Good luck

Reply to Scara

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.