Question
Posted by: need 2 feel happy | 2005/06/13

can anti depressants be taken/started now?

i am 36 weeks pregnant and i have a long history of depression and two suicide attempts a few years ago.i am a single mom-to-be and i am seeing symptoms of depression.i have a lot of teary days and i am having trouble coming to terms with past failures and trauma.i am scared that my baby will suffer because i am unstable.i am feeling tired also and worry a lot about evrything.i am also new in a city and miss my old friends.i have looked for a group to join but i havent found one yet for support.can i start a course of anti depressants now? that way it can start to work sooner than later without me getting post-natal depression.money is also an issue...
thanks
need 2 feel happy

Many ordinary and healthy people, due in part to the hormonal swings of pregnancy, and to the psychological burdens it includes, become depressed during a pregnancy. If one has had previous depressions, one would probably be even more vulnerable. Sadly, in SA the Support Group movement has never really got going, and there are far too few in most areas of need. You deserve to, and caqn, get to feeling happy again.
You need to see a good local psychiatrist, maybe on the advice of your GP or gynae, for assessment and discussion of treatment options. It is possible, with caution, to use some antidepressants during pregnancy, but this would need to be carefully judged by the shrink, and not every one is suitable. Psychological support / counselling is also important.
Though you may not find a specific support group, build your own personal support group --- through your work, your church, your hobbies and interests. maybe speak to other mums at the gynae or clinic. Check out what's available at your local state / provincial hospital / clinic. Midwives and social workers may be attached and capable of providing some of the support you'd benefit from