Question
Posted by: Amper daar | 2004/10/25

Can anti-depressant tables let you gain weight?

I've been loosing weight after my 2nd child was born in January this year. I then was diagnosed with depression and has been on Cilift, 2 tablets per day for the last 3 months. My mood is improving, but I am constantly hungry or just wants to eat....
Please confirm if this is the tablet or still symptoms of the depression?

Dear Amper
Depression is one of the recognised causes of weight loss. In similar fashion anti-depressants can either cause weight gain or loss. In your case they may be stimulating your appetite. You need to discuss this with the prescribing dr as it is important to receive antidepressant therapy, but he/she may be able to prescribe a product that does not stimulate appetite.