Question
Posted by: Depressed | 2007/07/16

Can ADs make you more depressed?

I'm wondering if anti-depressants can actually make you more depressed? I was diagnosed with depression 4 moths ago and spent 2 weeks in a psychiatric ward as a result. I have been on Cipralex ever since. After 2 months I had a relapse and am now on Lamictin as well. Problem is, I still feel depressed all the time. Is it possible that anti-depressants can actually make you depressed??

Not usually, but only around 70 % of people respond well to the first antidepressant they try , and may need to try other drugs before finding the one that suits them and their particular depression, best. Some doctors are nuts about Cipralex nowadays, for reasons that escape me, but there are many other antidepressants available, some of wich might suit you more. Lamictin is useful in recurrent depressions, and those that are part of a Bipolar Disorder. I have never found the need to prescribe Xanor, which has no worthwhile antidepressant properties, and might potentially worsen a depression and/or one's degree of emotionality.

2
Posted by: Depressed | 2007/07/16

Oh, I'm also taking 0.5mg Xanor per day

Reply to Depressed
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/07/16

I think if they give you the wrong pills!

Reply to Echelle