Question
Posted by: Zeena | 2006/04/05

Can a hot water bottle do harm??

if one is pregnant in the early stages, is it dangerous to use a hot waterbottle to ease the cramping in the abdominal area. Will the heat be harmful at all. And even on the back when I you get backache??

It is not a good idea to raise your body temperature too high, so a hot water bottle is not a good idea, except for a short time.

3
Posted by: Sue | 2006/04/05

I dont think you'd have done any harm at this point, but I wouldn't carry on doing it - the little baby thats forming is pretty sensitive, and hot water bottles can get really hot!

Slight aches and pains are normal as your insides are stretching to accomodate the growing baby - but if your pains are like the gnawing ache/cramp that you get with periods, thats not good - if you are concerned, phone up your gynae and describe your pains - He will be able to confirm if they are normal or not. (Get a second opinion if you are not happy with his).

Reply to Sue
Posted by: Zeena | 2006/04/05

Im only six weeks, I read that light period pain like cramping is normal because of the womb increasing in size. Im confused now Sue. And I have been putting the bottle on my stomach not for long periods though,could this hava done any harm?I only did it last Sunday.

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: sue | 2006/04/05

You shouldn't be getting cramping in pregnancy that is painful enough to warrant a hot water bottle - better to see your doc about the cramping asap.

This aside, A hot water bottle is fine if you are not putting it against your tummy

Reply to sue