Question
Posted by: Annie | 2005/12/03

Can a Beta-HCG pregnancy blood test show a false positive?

Is it possible for a pregnancy blood test to show a false positive, and if so what causes it.

Secondly, if you have had a miscarraige, how long will the hormone remain in your blood. Can the "decreasing amount" of hormone after a miscarraige be mistaken for an early pregnancy?

In June this year I had a positive result in a blood test but I was on trivasel, an oops I guess, any way a week later I miscarried and ten days later I had another blood test and it showed up as a negative.
Lately I have not been feeling so good, had a bad dose of the flu in different degrees, for almost three weeks, but didn't take much medicine, just in case!
On 1/12/05 I decided to go and get some meds from the doc, but took a blood test just in case, (I know I sound paranoid but my first child was diagnosed with down syndrome and I would hate to do anything that would harm any of my children therefore the paranoid bahavior) any way it came back positive yesturday.

The results said that it was still very early hard to say, maybe +- three weeks. My last period ended +- two and a half weeks ago. What do you think my chances of been pregnant are, I really cant' handle getting excited again incase it isn't. I wasn't on the pill this time round we have been using condoms.

Please would you be able to answer my questions?

A very low blood result may be inconclusive and the only thing to do is to repeat it in a few days and see whether there is an increase in the level. A miscarriage in June would not give you a positive result now. Unfortunately, you will have to wait a while for things to be clearer.