Question
Posted by: Col | 2006/09/14

Can 11 Year-Old use Tampons?

Hi – my Goddaughter of 11 years old started her periods a few months ago. Her Mom and I were discussing Summer and the swimming season (at school and at home) coming up and were wondering whether it would be safe for a young girl of this age to use tampons? If not, then at what age would it be acceptable gynaecologically for her to start using them? I DO realise that if and when she starts to use tampons, it is extremely important for her to change them every 3 – 4 hours to prevent infection, blood-poisoning, etc. Also, is the common belief that it is possible for them to “physically” break the hymen correct and what is the alternative when swimming at school – just a “sick note” from her Mom? Thank-you for your time.

- 2019/12/02

She can start using tampons at any age though, as the other respndents have said, young girls may fund it difficult to insert them. See what she is comfortable with. Tampons can stretch the hymen but don't usually tear it.

6
Posted by: Gamer~girl | 2016/02/21

Um hi started my period and i was wondering if i can use tampons BTW i'm 11 plz answer someone

Reply to Gamer~girl
Posted by: Gamer~girl | 2016/02/21

Reply to Gamer~girl
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/16

I used tampons at the age of nine

Posted by: kathy hernandez | 2013/08/03

I am 11and iwhant to waer on too bit my mom say that they are for woman that have had sex is it true???

Reply to kathy hernandez
Posted by: Puurple | 2006/09/14

Lilets have a "mini" tampon (purple box) it comes with a lubricant as well.

Some girls don't find tampons comfortable. Personally I was at the point of committing suicide from the horror of my period before I discovered tampons.

Generally the hymen is flexible enough tom ove out of the way for a tampon, but some girls are born without hymens and some girls have such tough ones that they have to be surgically cut. If she has done gymnastics, horse riding or ridden a bicycle - chances are it broke years ago anyway.
What does it matter if her hymen is broken - a hymen doesn't indicate anything - especially not virginity - a virgin is someone who hasn't had sexual intercourse.

The lilets instructions are very clear and have pictures, though its still confusing. She should have a look with a mirror the first time she tries. Also point out that its not where she urinates from that she has to insert it. I went to baording school - and I know from talking to other girls that that is a common and rather painful misconception most girls have. You can stand outside the bathroom door while she tries with the mirror.

The instructions have very clear details on hygeine while using a tampon as well.

Reply to Puurple
Posted by: Lou | 2006/09/14

She can safely use tampons, they make very small ones (mini) - however, there is a knack to inserting them, and young girls tend not to know their bodies very well, so battle to insert it at the right angle. If her mom can describe to her the right angle to insert it etc then she should be ok.
It may take her a couple of years before she feels ready to use them, but let her decide.

Mst swimming teachers are understanding about periods etc, so a note will be sufficient.

Reply to Lou