Question
Posted by: Angie | 2008/01/29

Calories per day

Hi Doc,

Sorry to ask the same question as a lot of the people on the forum but I've had such a lot of different answers on this.

What should my calorie intake be if I want to lose about a kilo a week. I do a half an hour of power walking every day. (That's all I can fit in). I follow the basics on the slimming diet and I keep everything low GI as far as I can. I just want to know so I can be sure of my portions. I weigh 72kg and I'm 1.63m. I'm looking to lose about 12kg.

Any additional advise will be welcome.

Angie

Dear Angie
The basic idea is to reduce your energy intake by 500 cal per day down to about 1500 cal. Your present BMI = 27,1 which is in the overweight category so it would be good to lose those 12 kg which will result in an ideal BMI of 22,6. Keep up the good work with the exercise and stick to low-fat, low-GI and you should lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week.