Question
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/26

calories & kilojoules

You know, I always thought that I was supposed to be consuming 2000 KILOJOULES, but it's 2000 CALORIES! This makes so much more sense to me now! In the SHAPE Mag, I always saw these really healthy meals, but they had a kilojoule count of like 1400 kilojoules, and I was wondering how they could be so healthy if they were so high in kilojoules! Now I get it! I have a question though, how many kilojoules should I b consuming in order to lose weight. I'm a 20 year old female, I'm a sales consultant, which means from 8-5 i'm walking around helping clients on our shop floor, and also sitting behind the computer. Would the 'slimming diet' be a wise diet to go on for me?

Dear Rene
Glad that you now understand the difference between kJ and calories. Basically an adult woman who wants to lose weight would have to reduce her energy intake to between 6 300 kJ and 7150 kJ a day. You can certainly try the slimming diet on this Website which is based on reducing fat intake (37 kJ per gram) and increasing intake of high-fibre foods (17 kJ per gram - quite a difference). If possible you should combine such a diet with regular exercise like going for a brisk 30 min walk a day or joining a good gym if possible. If you do the latter, ask the instructor to work out a routine that concentrates on aerobic exercises like cycling, rowing, jogging and skipping.