Question
Posted by: Nina | 2004/01/27

Calories, fat, carbs and protein

How many of each is required in your diet daily if you are fairly active and need to shed that extra 5kg?

Dear Nina
According to international experts, your diet should consist of 10-15% protein, 10% fat and 75% carbohydrate.
The carbs will support your physical activity and the low fat intake will promote weight loss. The energy content of your diet can vary from 1500 to 2000 kcal depending on how active you are.

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/06

I Disagree. The carbs will make you fat, you're not getting enough protein, so you will self-cannabalise your muscle mass when you exercise, and your hormones won't work properly because you don't have enough fat in your diet.

You should have about 35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs, and eat enough to feel satisfied.

When you have enough protein and fat in your diet, you naturally eat less, because you feel satisfied more quickly. Also, your blood glucose doesn't see-saw all over the place, so you don't get carbo cravings.

I promise you that your metabolic engine runs a lot better when you feed it what it was designed to run on. A diesel engine tends to blow up if you run it on petrol. Hey, I like that analogy. I think I'll use it again. We are, in a sense, oil-burners, like diesel engines. Petrol is like high G.I. dense carbohydrates. Diesel engines are more efficient than petrol engines... Mm, I like it.

The international experts that developed the 15/10/75% pyramid were the US Department of Agriculture. The people promoting the interests of the food producers. You SHOULD smell a large domestic rodent.

Reply to Nutrition Nut