Question
Posted by: sammy-joe | 2007/04/17

Calories burned

How many calories do you need to burn to lose weight?

I had a thyroid dectamy 5 years ago and take 0.1mg Eltroxin daily. I try get to gym 6 times a week and do 30 minutes of cardio. 10 Minutes cycling and 20 minutes on the treadmill.

I am not losing weight. I want to target my stomach particularly. Please help

Dear Sammy-Joe
Exercise does not just entail the energy you burn at the actual session, but it also increases your so-called Basic Metabolic Rate for up to 24 hours after the exercise thus using up more energy. Your exercise programme is excellent and should be causing some weight loss. However, it is necessary to combine daily exercise with a slimming diet. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If this combination of a reduced energy intake and an increased energy output still does not cause weight loss then you may need to return to the dr who is treating your hypothyroidism for tests to see if your dose of Eltroxin is correct or not. For the tummy you need to do targeted exercises like sit-ups - ask your gym instructor to work out a special 'tummy' programme for you.