Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2007/04/03

Calories

I'm 46 and 5ft 3 and weight 70kg's and need to shed the weight. I've started training at the gym and am eating 6 small meals a day. I do 20 minutes of cardio and an hour of weight training 3 times a week and 40 minutes of cardio vascular exercise 3 times a week. I've been doing this since halfway through January. How many calories do I need to consume daily and how many do I need to cut out in order to lose my 12 kg's? At the moment I just feel that I'm maintaining instead of losing. Thanks Doc.

Dear Patricia
Generally speaking adult women need to ingest 1500 calories a day when they are losing weight. With the increased physical activity the decreased energy intake should result in weight loss. Your present BMI = 27,3 which is in the overweight range. So if you can lose 12 kg it would be excellent as you would then have a BMI of 22,7.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.