Question
Posted by: Carol | 2006/10/26

Calories

Hi Doc.
I have been gymming at Curves (3x week/30 mins per session) for 8 weeks now and I do Pilates once a week. I've calculated how to reduce my calorie intake and I have now lost a total of 10.5 cm, and 1.8 kg's.
I am confused regarding calorie intake. I'm quite active and obviously burn calories when I exercise. Is it right that my calorie intake increases as I lose weight? How does that work?

Dear Carol
Generally speaking women who want to lose weight need to reduce their energy intake to 1500 cal a day, but if you are very active you may need more energy to fuel your activity (e.g. about 1800 cal a day). This is something you will have to experiment with. If your current energy intake is so low that you have no energy to do the exercise then you will need to increase it preferably by eating additional carbohydrates that are the best fuel for exercise and are low in calories (only 4 cal per gram, compared to 9 cal per gram for fats).
Keep up the good work

3
Posted by: Mike | 2006/10/27

That sounds great !!!!
Keep us upated on your weight loss through this forum or weight loss forum.

Reply to Mike
Posted by: Carol | 2006/10/27

Thanks Mike that makes sense.
To answer your question, the Curves gym expereinces is a 30-minute fitness concept combining strength training and sustained cardiovascular activity through safe and effective hydraulic resistance.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Mike | 2006/10/27

Hi Carol,
It seems like you have your calorie intake about right.
Your body needs a certain amount of calories to perform its normal cellular functions even when you are sitting. If you exercise, your body needs more calories.
When calories in = calories out then your weight will stay the same.
So at the moment you are losing weight slowly and safely(keep it up!!!!!)
Only when you reach your desired weight do you have to start thinking about upping calorie intake SLIGHTLY to maintain your weight loss.
You gym 3x per week. Is that cardio or weights ????

Reply to Mike