Question
Posted by: Haz | 2005/07/25

calories

I am 34 years old, 1.55 cm tall, and weigh 70kg. I am trying to lose weight by following a sensible low fat diet. How many calories a day should i by eating? I would like to lose about 1 1/2 to 2 kg per week. I walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes at a time, 3 times a week (I'm still a beginner).Thank you very much!!!!

Dear Haz
Your present BMI = 70,2, which is in the overweight range. If you can reduce down to 57 kg then your BMI would be back in the normal range. Experts the world over agree that to lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake to 1500 cal a day. This will result in a weight loss of 0,5 to 1kg per week, which you may think is too little, but rather slow and permanent than fast and then you regain all the weight you have lost.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.

4
Posted by: Haz | 2005/07/27

Thanx for the advise everyone!!!!!

Reply to Haz
Posted by: Science | 2005/07/26

You should eat at least 1600 kCal per day. That way you will lose a safe amount of weight and keep it off. Just ignore Kabous's posting, you're on the right track for success and maintaining you health at the same time!!

Reply to Science
Posted by: Babes | 2005/07/26

The diet Kabous advised does work but it pretty much exactly like the Atkins diet. For long term benefits its not advisable as it puts hellova strain on your kidneys and can later in life bring on kidney stones, stuffed up blood sugarlevels,water retention, etc.
You should be aiming at a loss of no more than 1kg per week as the body cannot burn off more fat than that per week-any more weight loss than that is not only fat but your own muscle tissue as well. I know its AGONISING to wait that long for the kilos to come off but its the only way that you know youre burning fat and not muscle as well. And time really does go quickly so it wont be too long before youve reached your goal weight. Just for the record, to lose 500g of fat only you have to burn off 3 500calories in excess of the normal calories you use for normal daily activities and vice versa-meaning youd have to eat an excess of 3 500 calories on top of your daily cal intake ( which in your case should be around 2 500cal a day) to gain 500g of fat so contrary to what people say, it really is not that easy to put on weight unless youre gorging every day.
Hope that helps.
Babes

Reply to Babes
Posted by: Kabous | 2005/07/25

Haz,

Counting calories is one way of doing it. I did the following to get rid of my excess weight:(try it; it might just work for you as well)

Absolutely no sugar at all - substitute with sweetner.
Avoid any food made with flour- no bread, cake, pastries, pasta, etc.
Increase veggie intake - no carrots/green beans (contain carbs)
Eat more fish/poultry; not too much red meat.
No milk - use fresh cream in tea/coffee twice a day.
Avoid gas cold-drinks
Cheese/cottage cheese in moderation.
Drink at least 2 litres of water every day.
Eat at least 5 times a day to keep the metabolism on the go.
No processed meats (contain starches.carbs)
No fruit juices - contains sugar.

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (2 eggs) + cooked ham; coffee/tea with cream.
Mid-morning snack: 2 sticks of dried wors.
Lunch: Fish/chicken + green salad.
Mid-afternoon snack: 100g biltong.
Dinner: 200g red meat + veggies or salad.
Fruit x 2 per week; bannanas and pears are rich in fibre and will assist digestion.

Portions at sittings should not be larger than your fist.

Avoid eating or drinking anything for at least 2 hours before bedtime. That feeling: "I can eat someting right now", is your body telling you that it is tapping into the fatty reserves and it is now that you are loosing all that excess flab. BE STRONG. If you feel you must have someting, drink 250 ml of water.

After exercising, you need to eat at least 30 g of carbohydrates to help with muscle recovery. Keep going with the walking; you're on the right track.

Good luck and please do keep us up to speed with your progress. Cheers.

Reply to Kabous