Question
Posted by: CC | 2008/06/19

calorie intake

hi doc. please help i weigh 153kg (1.78m tall) and have just joined a gym. we go 4-5 times a week. i would like to find out how much my calorie (kj) intake should be to assist me with my weight loss?
can i eat a product like the USN breakfast bar to replace a breakfast ? the rest of the day i try and stay on the basics of the weighless diet. thank you!

Dear CC
To lose weight an adult woman should reduce her calorie intake to 1500 cal/day and adult men to 2000 cal/day. Check the energy content of the USN energy bar and if it is less than 500 cal then you can substitute it for your breakfast although it is always a good idea to eat a balanced breakfast with low-GI cereal, milk or yoghurt, wholewheat or rye bread and fruit.