Question
Posted by: mani | 2004/03/04

Calorie Index

Hi Doc,
I want to make the other's in my Family as well as myself become more Aware of the Calorie Content in Meals such as Ckicken,Mutton Curries Or Breyani's.
Is there a Sort of Food Index t which will specify the Amount of Calories found in different Types of Food.
Thanks for All the Excellent Advice given for above Topics.
mani

Dear Mani
Thank you for your kind words. If you click on 'Diet' and 'Calorie Corner' then you can get a guideline for the energy content of standard portions of such foods. The SA Food Tables list the following contents for such foods per 100g cooked:
Chicken curry: 219 kcal or 915 kJ, 12,6g fat, 78 mg cholesterol
Mutton curry: 196 kcal or 824 kJ, 12,5 g fat, 58 mg cholesterol
Biryani (made with rice & lentils, but no potato or meat): 154 kcal or 647 kJ, 4.6g fat, 0 mg cholesterol. If meat, esp fatty meat is added to the biryani then these values would increase.
Hope this helps