Question
Posted by: Nwaiza | 2004/03/12

Calorie contents - Milk

Hi Doc. Plz tell me how fattening is full cream milk. I am on diet, I use fat free yoghurt and weight loss formula. I cannot stand fat free milk, so I have been having two glasses of milk everyday for the past two weeks. Will this have a dentrimental effect on my weight loss progress?

Thx

Dear Nwaiza
Full-cream milk contains 257 kJ or 61 kcal and 3.3 g of fat per 100 ml, thus your 2 glasses of say 2 x 250 ml = 500 ml a day have been providing you with 1285 kJ and 16,5g of fat. Skim milk contains 146 kJ or 35 kcal and only 0,2g of fat, thus 2 glasses would supply 730 kJ and only 1g of fat. So if you can possibly get used to using skim milk you would do your diet and health a good turn.