Question
Posted by: Colette | 2004/10/14

Callantics & Pregnacy

I am doing callantics and just wondering if it is still ok to carry on with it after I have fallen pregnant ( about 3 months time). If I can carry on which exercise can I do and cannot do?

Please help, don't want to hurt my baby.

Hi Colette

I think that callanetics will be fine for you to do, it's relatively low impact and the intensity is fairly low too and these are the two things that are often recommended as things to avoid. However, my advice is that you seek the opinion of your doctor before continuing with any exercise. There are a few key things that you have to be aware of, and I'm sure that your doctor will tell you pretty much what I can, and the main things are to maintain exercise at a low to moderate intensity - it's not the time to break new ground and push yourself, that's for sure. The other one is impact. For obvious reasons, any high impact exercises will become more and more difficult to do, and then combined with the increased laxity of joints (your body will produce a hormone which makes the joints a little more lax), things like aerobics, step classes, running become really difficult, and then looking even further forward, as you begin to get heavier, moving to the pool, or something like yoga and callanetics should be OK to do. At this stage, the most important thing is the intensity and not overdoing it in training. I don't believe that callanetics is overdoing it, and you can control this yourself and keep it from becoming a problem.

Good luck and always remember to err on the side of caution