Posted by: Solo | 2008/07/28

Calf pain

Hi Doc,

I love to Jog. After long period of time I started jogging. But the problem is I couldnt jog on the next week of my first day jogging. I feel this pain in my calf and the muscle between my calf and feet ,that deter me from Jogging. If I took rest like for two weeks I could jog nice. But after two of three days, I cant resist the pain so I just walk. The pain get sore when I jog down hill.

Expert ImageArchive

You need to be properly evaluated by an osteopath to establish the reason for your calf/achilles pain and to stop any progression.
For more information visit

In the meantime try the following:
Don't run up or down hills as this will cause more stress on the calf.

Don't run on a cambered (slanted) surface.

Try a heel raise in the shoes to reduce the load on the Achilles tendon.

Orthotics might be an answer if overpronating is a contributing factor.

A good pair of running shoes is essential

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath