Posted by: Solo | 2008/07/25

Calf pain

Hi Doc,

I love to Jog. After long period of time I started jogging. But the problem is I couldnt jog on the next week of my first day jogging. I feel this pain in my calf and the muscle between my calf and feet ,that deter me from Jogging. If I took rest like for two weeks I could jog nice. But after two of three days, I cant resist the pain so I just walk. The pain get sore when I jog down hill.

HI Solo

I think it's likely caused by suddenly taking to running again, and your joints and tendons are not used to the impact and the work they are having to do. It's very common. The key when you start training is to avoid doing too much too soon. Now, I don't know what you did in those first few days after starting your training, but maybe it was a little bit too much? Perhaps you need to back off and do less running? For example, let's say you go out and run 30 minutes - maybe you'd be better off if you did a total of 20 minutes and instead of running all of them, you rather do 5 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking, repeated 3 or 4 times? That walk every 5 minutes allows your body to adapt far better.

I think if you tried this for a week or so, then in week 2 you would be able to increase the running part to say 7 minutes, then 9 minutes, and so on, until eventually, you're right up there to 20 minutes. Then build up to 30 minutes.

I suspect that this building up is lacking, and that this is your problem. Hopefully, if you just step back and take it easier, you'll be able to stay running for longer.