Posted by: Notty | 2008/10/07

Calcium supplement.....?

Dear Diet Doc
I' m a 39 year old woman and i exercise by doing aerobics 3-4 times a week 45-60 minutes. When i start exercising a feel a pain on the front bones between the knee and the feet (not sure but i think they are called the tibia). i started taking calcium supplement 1/day recently but they don' t seem to help. asking for your advise.

Dear Notty
The pain in your leg is probably due to strain and/or wearing the wrong shoes - it is a condition called 'shin splints' which is common among athletes and runners. I would recommend that you consult a podiatrist (foot specialist) who will assist you with the correct footwear. By all means continue with the calcium supplements as adult women need 1200 mg of calcium a day and most women do not get this amount from their food. The calcium will help to prevent osteoporosis in later life.