Posted by: Notty | 2008/10/07

Calcium supplement.....?

Dear Diet Doc
I' m a 39 year old woman and i exercise by doing aerobics 3-4 times a week 45-60 minutes. When i start exercising a feel a pain on the front bones between the knee and the feet (not sure but i think they are called the tibia). i started taking calcium supplement 1/day recently but they don' t seem to help. asking for your advise.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Notty
The pain in your leg is probably due to strain and/or wearing the wrong shoes - it is a condition called 'shin splints' which is common among athletes and runners. I would recommend that you consult a podiatrist (foot specialist) who will assist you with the correct footwear. By all means continue with the calcium supplements as adult women need 1200 mg of calcium a day and most women do not get this amount from their food. The calcium will help to prevent osteoporosis in later life.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.