Question
Posted by: Shamie | 2005/01/11

Calcium Supplement

I am a 26 year old mother of two.I don't take any sort of vitamin supplement; mainly because there are so many on the market & also I don't know what I would need.I have read that it is important for young women to take calcium supplements.What product would you recommend & what foods are rich in calcium.Thanx,

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Shamie
All dairy products (milk ,cheese etc.) contain calcium- If you drink about 3 glasses of milk a day, you will get in sufficient calcium, or 2 large cups of unflavoured yoghurt. There is no "best" calcium supplement- as long as you get in about 1000mg of calcium per day in whatever form. Just remember to take small amounts of calcium, usually with meals and not one big dose in one go (more than 500- 1000mg).
Hope this helps
PS The National Osteoporosis Foundation at 0861102265 will also be able to help