Question
Posted by: Confused | 2006/07/18

Calcium and osteoporosis

Could you please tell me how much calcium I should consume everyday if I have osteoporosis. I take a calcium supplement, one tablet in the morning and one in the evening as well, so how much calcium should I take in through my diet in addition to this? Is it possible to take too much calcium and actually reverse the benefits? Please help!

Dear Confused
The recommended daily calcium intake for all adults is 1000 mg. Check how much your 2 tablets provide and if this is less than 1000 mg per day, increase your intake of milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses. It is best to take calcium tablets at night as absorption is improved. Excessive intakes of calcium could lead to calcium-containing kidney stones in susceptible individuals, but this would certainly not reverse the benefits in regard to osteoporosis.