Question
Posted by: ssally | 2008/01/29

calcium and heart attack

I take a calcium/magnesium/vitamin supplement as I am menopausal and want to avaoid osteoporosis. Recently I read that calium has been implicated in heart disease. Is this perhaps plain calcium, or CaMg as well?...because I thought magnesium was a helpful mineral in heart health.

Dear ssally
If you take Calcium and Magnesium supplements in "normal" dosages, especially if you do not eat a high calcium diet, it should not affect you negatively.They only advised against calcium supplementation in those over the age of 70 years and in those known to have coronary heart disease.