Posted by: PK | 2005/11/24


Hi Dietdoc,

Thanks for a great forum!!

I eat about 175ml fat free yoghurt, and a cup of milk - or just 2 x 175ml yoghurt / visa versa - IS it necessary to take a calcium supplement?

(25 yr old female).

Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear PK
The RDA for calcium for adult women is at least 100 mg a day. Milk contains about 1 mg of calcium per ml, thus is you have 2 x 250 ml cups = 500 ml and 500 mg of calcium. Fat-free yoghurt on the other hand contains nearly 2 mg of calcium per ml, so if you have 175 ml of yoghurt you should be ingesting 350 mg (175 ml) or 700 mg (350 ml) of calcium when you eat the yoghurt. In both cases you still need between 300 and 500 mg of calcium a day from other sources, so it may be a good idea to take a calcium supplement containing about 300 mg a day to ensure that you get 1000 mg of calcium a day.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.