Question
Posted by: renti | 2006/11/02

caffiene and headache

hi doc,

i generally drink about 6-10 cups of filter coffee per day. I didn't drink a cup of coffee for 4 days and then yesterday i could not resist it anymore and had 2 cups. Last night could not sleep and only went to bed after 12.

This morning I have the mother of all headaches. do you think it is due to the caffiene or not getting enough sleep?

Dear Renti
Both caffeine withdrawal and lack of sleep can of course cause headaches and/or migraine-like headache. You can have up to 4 cups of coffee a day without negative consequences, so rather reduce how much you drink a day gradually until you are having 4 cups a day. Don't have coffee after supper or in the evening as this could prevent you from sleeping. Rather drink low-fat milk before retiring - the tryptophan in the milk will help you to sleep.
To read more about caffeine, do a Search on the Health24 Website with 'caffeine'.